Do you remember your first Big Mac? I can’t say that I do, but depending on who you ask, others may have an answer that dates back half a century! That’s right, the Big Mac, the Mac Daddy, the OG ultimate 100% beef burger, is 50 years old this year.
If I dig into my own mental archives, I remember a period between the ages of 3 and 5 during which the Big Mac was my McDonald’s meal of choice. Why settle for a measly single-patty hamburger or five little nuggets when you can have the real deal: two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun. Despite the fact that I had to cut that sucker in fourths and fully dissect it in order to consume it, my fandom of the Big Mac has not waned in 25+ years (although my adoration is nothing compared to this guy who’s eaten 30,000 of them).
At 850 calories, 29 grams of fat and nearly 1,000 grams of sodium, this mammoth burger doesn’t mess around. And McDonald’s isn’t taking its anniversary lightly, either—the American fast food brand has launched an equally massive global campaign to remind people that, while many things have changed in 50 years, the Big Mac you know and love remains the same. So let’s celebrate! Promotions include:
- Outdoor creative in Switzerland that encapsulates the cultural shifts that have taken place over 50 years within the shape of the iconic burger
- TV spots take us back five decades, and forward 50 years, to prove that the cherished experience of eating a Big Mac never changes
- Limited edition menu offerings in the UK, including the slightly smaller Mac Jr and the ridiculously larger Grand Big Mac
- Apparel partnerships in Japan with brands including G-Shock, New Era and Uniqlo
- Limited edition Big Mac Coke cans in Latin America
Go big or go home, am I right? Big Mac, you’ve aged like a fine, calorie-laden, artery-clogging wine—happy 50th and thanks for the memories.